Liora Shaltiel-Harpaz, ph.D
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Tel: + 972-6-6953508
Mobile: + 972-50-7965272
Fax: + 972-6-6944980
Northern R&D (Mop-Zafon)
South industrial Zone, Kiryat Shmona
P.O.Box 831 Kiryat- Shemona 11016 Israel
||B.Sc. (Suma cum Laude) Biology, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel.
||M.Sc. (Cum Laude) Life Sciences with specialization in Ecology, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel.
|1996 - 2002
||Ph.D. studies, Entomology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel. (Thesis submitted Sept 2002 approved June 2003)
||Post-Doc, The Hebrew University's Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences.
Positions in Academic and Research Institutions
||Research Assistant. Department of Zoology Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
||Research Assistant. Matityahu research station for agricultural research, Merom Hagalil, Israel>
|1996 - 2001 &
2004 - present
|Research Fellow. The Northern R&D of Israel
||Adjunct lecturer, Tel- Hai Academic Collage
||Ecology teacher, Emek Hachula High School
||Developed science curricula in ecology and IPM, The Association for the Advancement of Science Education in Upper Galilee.
|2003 - present
||Teacher of agriculture and environmental studies, Vikomitz primary school at Rosh-Pina.
||Licht Scholarship to support master studies at the Blaustein international Center for Desert Research, Ben Gurion University of the Negev.
||Miterany Foundation Grant to attend the 5th European Congress of Entomology. York, England
||Zalmam Levit Scholarship to support agricultural research. Fruit Board and farmers association of Israel.
||Northern R&D of Israel Travel Grant to the USA for professional training in IPM.
||David Rosen award, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
|1998 - 2001
||PhD Scholarship, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
|1998 - 2001
||Leaders in Agriculture Scholarship, Fruit Board of Israel.
||BARD postdoctoral Scholarship (decliened)
||ICSF (Israel Chief Scientist Foundation of the Ministry of Agriculture): Development of integrated management control of Thrips in chives. $40,500
|| The Israeli fruit growers association- national psylla project: (a) The impact of pear tree nitrogen fertilization and growth regulation on the pear psylla, Cacopsylla bidens (Sulc), $26,000. (b) Planting Rhamnus alaternus hedgerows to conserve Anthocoris nemoralis, a natural enemy of the pear psylla , Cacopsylla bidens (Sulc), $10,000
|1998 - 2001
||ICSF (Israel Chief Scientist Foundation of the Ministry of agriculture): IPM of Pear Psylla in Israel. $37,500
|1996 - 1997
||Fruit Board of Israel: Integrated pest management of Edwardsiana rosae in pome orchards using the egg parasitoid Anagrus atomus. $10,000.
List of Publications
Articles in preparation:
- Shaltiel, L. 1994. Honeydew as a cue in patch evaluation by a parasitic wasp Diaeretiella rapae foraging for its aphid host Brevicoryne brassicae. Meeting Proceedings, the Zoological Society of Israel. Israel Journal of Zoology. 40:1.
- Oppenheim, D., Palevsky, E., Horovitz, I., Shaltiel, L., Reoveni,H. and Aconis, O. 1997. The influence of poison-free pest control administration on the fauna of arthropod pests and their natural enemies in an apple orchard at Havat Matityahu, (Israel) during the seasons of 1994-96. Alon Hanotea (51)8:346-356.
- Shaltiel, L. and Ayal, Y. 1998. The use of kairomones for foraging decisions at two hierarchical scales by an aphid parasitoid: Foraging in small host aggregations. Ecological Entomology 23:319-329.
- Shaltiel, L. and Coll, M. 2004. Reduction of pear psylla damage by Anthocoris nemoralis: The importance of orchard colonization time and neighboring vegetation. Biocontrol Science and Technology 8:811-821.
- Ne'eman, G., Shavit, O., Shmida, A. and Shaltiel, L. The differences in foraging behavior between males and females of solitary bees. Oikos (submitted)
- Shaltiel, L. and Coll, M. Reproduction site selection by an omnivorous insect, Anthocoris nemoralis: Effects of host plants and prey
- Shaltiel, L. and Coll, M. Can analysis of nutritional ecology suggest dispersal pattern.
- Shaltiel, L. and Coll, M. Effect of intraguild interactions on prey suppression by an omnivorous bug.
- Shaltiel, L. 1994. Honeydew as a cue in evaluating host aggregation by a parasitic wasp. 5th European Congress of Entomology. York, England. 1994
- Shaltiel, L.,Coll,M. and M. Berkeley. 2000. Spatial population dynamics of the omnivore Anthocoris nemoralis: The effect of host plants and prey. 17th Conference of the Entomological Society of Israel, Beit Dagan. Israel, 2000.
- Shaltiel, L. and Coll, M. 2001. Population dynamics of the omnivore Anthocoris nemoralis: The effect of host plants and prey. SIP 11- International Symposium on insect plant relationship. Helsingor, Denmark
- Shaltiel, L. and Coll, M. 2001. Population dynamics of the omnivore Anthocoris nemoralis: The effect of prey and its host plants. Miterany Center for Desert Ecology, Sde Boker Campus, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel.
- Shaltiel, L., Ben Yakir, D. and Rabinovitch,R. 2005. IPM of thrips in chives. Research report. ICSF Open Day. Beit Dagan. Israel
- Shaltiel, L .2006. 70 years of pear psylla research in Israel.fruit tree groweres meeting. Northeren R&D. Rosh-Pina Israel.